The Performance Tester is primarily responsible for analysing risks, defining performance tests, and developing and maintaining the performance test automation framework; and utilising the framework to execute performance tests, analyse and present results.
The role holder works directly with the development teams to analyse risks and design the performance testing approach for each new feature, to ensure that new product components comply with performance baselines. The Performance Tester will also prepare and execute performance tests for product release candidates, to ensure they meet system performance baselines ahead of being deployed to production.
An ability to define and configure additional tests required to support other non-functional tests, such as for reliability, survivability and scalability testing, is a vital part of the role. The Performance Tester will work with the Development and DevOps teams and Acceptance Test Manager to analyse risks and plan all non-functional testing activities for new features and releases.
Specific tasks include producing automated performance and other non-functional tests, test execution, analysing test results, collating test evidence and producing testing reports. The role holder requires a deep understanding of non-functional test strategies and approaches and must demonstrate an ability to work collaboratively in an agile environment.
Being able to develop and maintain good working relationships with development, product, support and delivery staff is key to the success of the role, as is the ability to promote the benefits of establishing continuous performance and non-functional testing throughout the delivery pipeline.
- Develops, maintains and enhances performance test automation framework
- Prepares, maintains and executes automated performance and other non-functional tests
- Uses performance testing skills to analyse risks, establish application performance baselines, find breakpoints and identify scalability factors
- Works closely with DevOps and development teams to gather, analyse and interpret detailed results, including detailed metrics gathered from within the application
- Liaising closely with development teams, triages and raises bugs found during performance and non-functional testing, as appropriate
- Defines test environments required for performance and non-functional testing, including any additional software required
- Defines and manages test data required for performance and non-functional testing
- Establishes continuous performance and non-functional testing in Continuous Integration approach
- Works effectively with the development teams to analyse risks and design the test approach for each new feature, to ensure that new product components comply with performance and other non-functional baselines
- Prepare and execute performance and other non-functional tests for product release candidates, to ensure they meet criteria for production deployment
- Provides estimates and feedback to the Acceptance Test Manager for release testing
The role requires a candidate with a minimum of three-years experience in performance testing. Experience of designing performance test frameworks for at least one performance test tool, such as JMeter, Gatling or LoadRunner, and using them to define, execute and analyse automated performance tests. Experience working with multiple teams for risk analysis, test planning, issue resolving, and results analysis.
- Proven experience of using performance test tools such as JMeter, Gatling or LoadRunner to define and execute automated performance tests
- Proven experience of performance testing APIs and complex user interfaces
- Demonstrable ability to use performance testing skills to analyse risks, establish application performance baselines, find breakpoints and identify scalability factors
- Thorough knowledge of other non-functional test types, such as scalability, reliability and survivability
- Experience working with multiple teams for risk analysis, test planning, issue resolving, and results analysis
- Good understanding of networking and basic networking tools
- A commitment to quality and a thorough approach to work
- Positive, collaborative attitude with strong team-working skills
- Ability to communicate clearly in all situations
- A high standard of written and numerical skills
- Able to work as an effective team member
- Able to work under pressure and to tight time scales
- Thorough knowledge of quality and testing techniques
- A high level of initiative and self-motivation
- Willingness to make time available to ensure technical competencies are kept up to date in line with industry developments and departmental policy
- Eligibility to work in the UK
- Flexibility in working hours depending on project requirement
Please note that to be considered for the Performance Tester role at Actual Experience you will need to answer the following questions in writing and send them to us with your CV:
- Please describe the typical performance testing process you follow in your current role from planning through to completion
- Please describe the steps you go through in your current role when preparing performance test scripts
- Please explain in detail why you want to apply for the Performance Tester role at Actual Experience.
Recruitment Privacy Notice
Actual Experience plc will collect your personal information for the purpose of the recruitment process, to evaluate your skills and suitability for the role you applied for, and to make any necessary adjustments where applicable. We will only use the information you provide to us, directly or indirectly, as part of your job application. Your personal information will be processed in compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
If your application is successful and we decide to offer you a position with us, we will save the information we have collected about you during the recruitment process onto our internal company systems. We will also share some of your personal information with third parties to carry out a background check, including a criminal convictions check, obtain references from previous employers and to register you with our employee benefits provider.
If your application is unsuccessful, we will retain your personal information for 12 months, so that we can contact you about openings you might be interested in, and to comply with any legal obligations we are subject to.
When you have any questions, or would like to exercise one of your data protection rights, please contact Actual Experience directly.
By submitting your application, you confirm you have read and understood this Recruitment Privacy Notice.