For the purpose of the UK Data Protection Act 1998, the data controller is Actual Experience plc of Quay House, The Ambury, Bath, Somerset BA1 1UA, United Kingdom. Our data protection registration number is ZA047122.
What Does Actual Experience Do?
We are a spin-out from Queen Mary, University of London. We collect and analyse digital performance data in order to improve the individual human experience of digital applications. Digital performance is measured from your computer, phone or other device (each a “Device”) using a small software program known as the “Digital User”. The Digital User does not monitor what you do on your Device; instead it sends test messages to measure local, national, and global digital performance as seen by your Device. Measurement data is transmitted to our Analytics Cloud. Our Analytics Cloud then analyses your data in order to provide you with information about your digital performance. The Analytics Cloud may also analyse data from the Digital User located on your Device together with data from other Digital Users located on other devices, in two further ways:
- To provide businesses with information about the human experience of their and their industry’s services; and
- To provide regulators and agencies with information about the human experience of digital infrastructure.
Information We May Collect From You
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- You may give us information about you by registering for our Digital User software, filling in forms on our Sites, or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail, or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you create an account with us to use one of our user interfaces to view your digital performance, and when you report a problem with our Sites, Digital User, or other services. The information you give us may include your name, address, e-mail address, password, Digital User location, phone number, and information about your broadband provider.
- Our Digital User collects measurement data, which includes the Internet Protocol (“IP”) address of your Device and the IP address used to connect your Device to the Internet, and passes it to our Analytics Cloud (as described in “What Does Actual Experience Do?” above).
- With regard to each of your visits to our Sites we may automatically collect the following information:
- technical information, including the IP address used to connect your Device to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform; and
- information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (“URL”) clickstream to, through, and from our Site (including date and time); page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page and any phone number used to call us.
Uses Made of the Information
We collect and use three categories of information: the measurement data recorded by our Digital User, the information provided by you when you register with us for our Actual Home service, and the analytics data resulting from the analysis we perform on the measurement data.
- Measurement Data Recorded by Our Digital User:
Our Digital User collects your IP address and the other measurement data described above and passes it to our Analytics Cloud, which we then use for analysis to provide you with information about your digital performance. If we provide information from other Digital Users on other devices, together with the Digital User on your Device, to our other customers (such as other business customers and regulators), your personal data described above (including your personal IP address) is not included and all data provided is strictly anonymised. We will not share the underlying measurement data relating to the Digital User on your Device with our business customers or regulators unless we tell you about this and you have agreed.
- Information Provided by You When You Register for our Actual Home Service:
We use the information you provide to us when you register for our Actual Home service in the following ways:
- location information such as city and postcode, which enables us to determine the geographical distribution of Actual Home consumers and analyse performance based on geographical areas;
- contact details such as email address, name, or telephone number, which enables our business customers, whose names are provided on the registration page, to use the information obtained from the Digital User to carry out their own analysis, but only if you have signed up and agreed to their services or to our sharing such data with them;
- your email address, which we use to notify you about changes to our Actual Home service;
- your email address, which we may also use to tell you about other goods and services that are similar to those that we have already provided to you or that you have already enquired about, unless you tell us you don't want to hear about them.
- Analytics Data
If you use our Actual Home service, we will create analytics data as a result of the measurement information collected from the Digital User on your Device and other Digital Users on other devices. The analytics data we produce does not allow us or any other party to identify you personally. We provide anonymous analytics data to our customers (such as other business customers), who may in turn provide it to their customers.
- Other Uses of Information We Obtain Through Your Use of Our Sites
We use information obtained from the way that you use our Sites in the following ways:
- as part of our efforts to keep our Sites safe and secure;
- to administer our Sites and for internal business operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes; and
- to improve our Sites to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your Device.
Security Measures We Take to Protect Your Data
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our Sites, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
We use commercially reasonable business and technical practices to secure our Analytics Cloud, and, although we cannot guarantee the security of data or information or be responsible for infiltration or hacking, we have implemented security policies, firewall software, rules, and other technical measures to protect the personal data that we have under our control from unauthorised access, improper use or disclosure, unauthorised modification, and unlawful destruction or accidental loss.
All employees who have access to and are associated with the processing of personal data are obliged to respect the confidentiality of personal data.
Disclosure of Your Information
We may share your information, including your personal data, with any member of our group, which means our affiliates and our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006.
We may share your information with selected third parties including:
- If you use the Actual Home service, then as mentioned above, our business customers, who may use the information you provide on the registration page, but only if we have told you about this when you register and you have agreed;
- Our service providers, business partners, suppliers, and subcontractors for the performance of any contract we enter into with you or any services we provide to you; and
- Analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our Sites.
We may also disclose your information, including your personal data, to third parties:
- in the event that we sell, buy, merge, dissolve, or otherwise reorganise our business or assets, in which case we may disclose your information to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets and their advisers;
- where you have given your consent for us to do so or have instructed us to do so.
Access or Removal of Your Personal Information
You may ask what data we hold about you or request that we remove any personal information we may hold at any time if you so request by emailing [email protected] or by writing to the Data Protection Officer at Actual Experience plc, Quay House, The Ambury, Bath, Somerset BA1 5BB, United Kingdom.
We do not monitor, recognize, or honor any behavioral advertising opt-out or do not track mechanisms, including general web browser “Do Not Track” settings and/or signals.
Links to Third-Party Sites
Important Notice to Non-U.S. Residents
Last updated: July 2016